Wednesday 23 March 2011

2 months old today

It was a busy day for me today.  It was my 60th day at Chelsea and Westminster, my 2 month birthday and I moved to the Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU).  This is the room you go to before going home so you could say I've been promoted.

My move was a bit of a surprise to Mum who turned up to find another baby in my space on HDU.  The nurse she spoke to didn't know where I'd been moved to but she guessed I was in SCBU and found me.  Clever mum. It means I'm back with my previous neighbour and the first baby who was opposite me on day one although she and her parents are getting ready for her to go home so I'll just have to get stronger as quickly possible so I can come home too.

"Will you take me home?"

I've gained more weight and now weigh 2.34kg meaning I've broken the 5lb barrier. I tried feeding from the bottle again today and didn't do well.  I swallowed too much air again and found breathing a bit tricky.  This led to my heart rate going down too. I didn't feel right at all and ended up the same blue as my babygrow! The nurses and M+D needing to jiggle me and give me extra oxygen through a special mask which scared M+D a bit.  Dad can be very firm when he's suddenly in 'doctor' mode. But I picked up fairly quickly after that and was fine when my milk and formula went through my feeding tube.

Being cared for by Mum
They're running a special pH study on my gut to see if I'm refluxing my stomach acid, and if this is making me drop my saturations.

I'm 35 weeks old tomorrow. So many birthdays in one week - lucky me!
Love to all,
Arthur x

No comments:

Post a Comment